The pattern I am using is from The Sewing Academy (http://www.thesewingacademy.com/compendium/, scroll down to find the free pattern). I have a bolt of muslin that I got for pattern development and making mockups of outfits, so I dove right in. I was so excited to start that I didn’t notice what time it was when I started. Using other clues (last read email time stamp, the time my daughter left for work, etc.) I figure I probably started around 9 am. Also, I decided I am going to handstitch the entire garment.
I began with 2 yards (measured very roughly as being twice the length of my arm from hand to the opposite shoulder) of unbleached muslin, washed, dried and ironed. The pattern called for 16” across the half-pattern, so I trimmed the fabric down the edge from the original 48” to 32”. In retrospect, I should have cut it down to 34” for the seam allowance. I did have the room to spare. I used the edge I cut off for the sleeves, thus making very efficient use of the length. Following the instructions, I drew my pattern directly on the muslin. Wait, that is a bit misleading. The instructions did not say to do that. Rather, I measured down 5/8” from the top edge and in from the side edge for seam allowance, then drafted the pattern directly onto the muslin instead of a piece of paper. I then added the seam allowances, except that being the kind of person I am, I didn’t wait to see how much seam allowance the pattern called for and I just used the 5/8” I am accustomed to. Next time, I need to remember to use the washable pen. I hope the pencil will wash out. I drew the stitching lines on each piece and began flat-felling the armscye seams. I stitched from the edge at the neckline down to the raw edge at the armpit following the felling instructions in the pattern, but when it came time to do the underarm seam, I realized that might not work so well. I unpicked the armscye end of each seam just to the stitching line for the underarm seam to better accommodate those seams. Also, for some reason, one of the side seams isn’t perfect. The armscye seams don’t quite line up, and I’m not quite sure why. I set it down at 5:30 to make dinner. Counting out time spent helping my 12-year-old work on an outfit for her doll, and basic parenting (the kids are all home from school until Monday), I probably spent about 6 to 7 hours on this today.
I'm sorry the pictures aren't more elaborate. I just wanted to show the stitching. I'm not sure how else to photograph an otherwise big blob of fabric.