Corset 5 is made of the same green twill as the underbust. I love this fabric. I finished it about a month ago, I think. After finishing it, I wore it for an entire day, including to church. It gave me horrible muffin top as I spilled over the top of it, and my nipples sat right over the top edge and so got stimulated every time I moved. It was very annoying. I have since realized that my boobs are just not cooperative after 6 pregnancies and 11 cumulative years of nursing. They are really much more like almost-full water balloons. The pattern I redrafted with new measurements, raising the bottom edge. This time I tried installing a waist-tape, and I discovered that half my bones go to the outside of the tape, and half go to the inside, resulting in an interesting pattern across my waist. I am all out of busks, so I inserted 4 bones in the center front, as well as pairs on each seam, and singles up the middles of my side front pieces. I did not take pictures of my muffin top.
For this one, I merely took my pattern from #5 and raised the front edge by 2”. Wouldn’t you know, I spilled out the sides this time. I also fell into the front, so I had a prominent edge across my front. I tried to fix this by taking in the portion immediately under my bust. This was a dismal failure and since I had made this as a double layer, it was nearly impossible to recreate the adjustments on the second layer and I abandoned it. I also decided the waist still wasn’t small enough. The picture looks a bit strange because I unpicked both layers and restitched the inner layer to try to fix the fit, then just pinned up the pieces of the outer layer so they didn't hang there looking really stupid.
How many times is it going to take for me to get this cussed thing to fit? This one was made of a thicker denim, about the same weight as men’s work jeans. I cut up an old Viking apron dress that wasn’t working for me anymore. I love the feel of this fabric for this purpose. I definitely will try using this type of fabric again. I took the pattern from #6 and took in the waist and flattened the bust and made it up again. I will just say that I took the waist in too far. Much too far. I cannot wear it with any comfort. This time I did do the smarter thing and made it single layer with twill tape bone casings. The worst part was that I tried it on for fit while my husband was at work and then I couldn’t get it off again. I had to go to my quilting bee with it on, so I decided to just accept it and I put on my split drawers, a nice long skirt, the only button down shirt I own and can fit in (it did not compliment the silhouette at all with a gathered yoke in back), and showed off my handiwork to my friends there. My best friend Jenny laughed at me and rightly so. I laughed, too. I was finally able to get out of it when my teenager came home from high school and helped me out. Talk about embarrassing. Those are my almost-fitting split drawers over the corset. I was attempting a 6" reduction.